Superfood Smoothies: How I Start my Day
I love to eat smoothies! They’re really easy to make in just a few minutes and superfood smoothies make the ultimate snack or meal to take on the road. I usually blend up enough for three smoothies–I eat one as soon as I make it and then the other two go in bottles to eat later that day or the next one.
In order to make them as healthy as possible, I try to pack in a whole bunch of superfoods. They are very healthy for you, for a variety of different reasons which I’ll outline below.
Mix and match these ingredients for your superfood smoothies, adjusting to your own tastes, but remember the following simple rule:
- Trying to gain weight? Go with more nuts, more fruit and liquid that is not water (yogurt, almond or walnut milk, coconut water, etc).
- Trying to lose weight? Go with more greens and other vegetables and water for your liquid.
Looking for a Smoothie Blender?
Oh, and if you’re looking to get a blender to mix up all your superfood smoothies in, check out this useful article: Top 5 Blenders. I personally use the Oster Versa and love it!
Now, the List of Smoothie Superfood Ingredients!
Nuts, Seeds and Grains
- Walnuts. They contain alpha-linolenic acid which can aid memory and coordination.
- Almonds. A ton of good stuff in here, including lots of calcium for the vegans.
- Steel-cut oats. Not processed, they’ll release energy slowly throughout the day and keep you full for a long time.
- Sunflower seeds. They contain a high dose of vitamin E, which fights infection and helps your heart stay healthy.
- Flaxseeds. They contain plant-based Omega 3’s which do a whole host of good things for your body!
Fruit and Vegetables
- Apples. They have quercetin which can reduce your cancer risk.
- Avocados. Their healthy fat will help your body absorb all the other nutrients and also keep you full for a long time.
- Bananas. Lots of good fiber.
- Blackberries. A ton of antioxidants–more than almost any other berry.
- Blueberries. They help prevent inflammation in your brain, improving its function.
- Carrots. A ton of vitamins as well as antioxidants. Be sure to eat lots of those bright coloured foods!
- Kale. A million and one reasons to eat this leafy green superfood.
- Kiwis. A delicious vitamin C powerhouse!
- Oranges. Not only vitamin C, but potassium and folate as well.
- Spinach. A vitamin K powerhouse which helps your blood clot and builds strong bones.
- Strawberries. They contain ellagitannins, a phytochemical that can halt the growth of cervical or colon cancer.
Love to Eat Superfood Smoothies?
Please comment below and share your secret recipe with us! Or, just a few of your favourite ingredients that you’re sure to put in every single smoothie that you make.